Aromatherapy is a magical relaxing alternative to the medicinal treatments with the use of essential oils and other aromatic plant compounds which are aimed at improving the a person’s health or mood. It is considered that this type of treatment is unscientific and wishful thinking however, scientific evidence of the effectiveness of aromatherapy are growing constantly Aromatherapy makes you feel good although there was no evidence that it makes you well. The essential oils used in aromatherapy have a different composition compared to other herbal products because the distillation used in aromatherapy recovers the lighter phytomolecules.
Aromatherapy is a widely used term for a range of traditional therapies that use essential oils. These may include massaging oils, or any topical application that uses pure, essential oils – the essential oils are either absorbed through the skin or inhaled. There is no surety that what are the sources of the benefit from the aromatherapy, whether it is
the massage, the smell or both.
Benefits of the aromatherapy states that the inhalation of essential oils in aromatherapy stimulates the part of the brain connected to smell – the olfactory system; a signal is sent to the limbic system of the brain that controls emotions and retrieves learned memories. This causes chemicals to be released which make the person feel relaxed, calm, or even stimulated. If the aromatherapy includes massage the effect is to further relax the person.
The essential oils are said to have a direct pharmacological effect. Aroma therapists claim there is a strong bond and connect between the body and aromatic oils; however there is no scientific proof that this is the case. Nevertheless, some preliminary clinical studies have revealed positive results.
One of the studies suggest that Aromatherapy is generally applied in three ways as mentioned below:
- Aerial diffusion - the oils evaporate into the air. The aim is to give the air a specific fragrance or to disinfect it.
- Direct inhalation – the person breaths the evaporating oils straight in. This is commonly used for respiratory disinfection, decongestion, as well as for psychological benefits.
- Topical applications – applied onto the skin. Commonly used for massage, baths, and therapeutic skin care.
Aromatherapy is used to cure various diseases and health issues. The problems which could be cured with the aromatherapy are as below:
- Anxiety very common these days which causes nervousness, fear, apprehension and worrying which end up resulting in various hormonal disorders. However, aromatherapy is one of the best cure.
- Stress is one of the most common health issue these days which is because of the lifestyle these days and hence aromatherapy and the essential massage gives you the break from the common routine.
- Insomnia as we are aware of this health issue which keeps you sleep deprived and away from the sound sleep at nights. As the therapy promises you can get the best of the relief and sound sleep with the relaxing essential oils at the aromatherapy clinics or spa centres.
Other such health issues which could be fought with this therapy are headache, bodyache, digestive problems and majorly depression.